Re: A question: and On subject too! (#15205)

Subject: Re: A question: and On subject too! (#15205)
From: Bill Burns <wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 16:02:59 -0700

1-MAR-1996 16:33:58.48

Bill Bledsoe asks:

>I'd like to hear from anyone who's done this sort of thing (MCA you don't
>count!!!) especially putting documents/PDF's on an internal Web Site.

>From a starting point, issues that concern me include:

>* what to do with "living" documents since you cannot edit a PDF file
>* how do you keep version control of these living documents automatically
>(and your PDF files for that matter)
>* have you had success with any automation of the back-end processing (for
>PDF: Cataloging, Distilling and for HTML:"one-button" converters, etc.)
>* what kind of web-server product handles this type of documentation
>distribution best

This may not be an immediately workable solution, but I'll venture a suggestion
anyway. We're facing a similar conversion here at Micron. I'm in the process
of educating my colleagues in the benefits of SGML. An SGML publishing system
is intended to perform all of the functions you're seeking and more (automation
of the back-end processing, version control, storage of content in a flexible
and reusable form, AND multiple output options).

I know only enough about SGML to get myself in trouble (although I'm working to
increase my understanding). Chet Ensign, who's also a subscriber to TECHWR-L,
could probably give you some excellent information on this subject. (Chet? You
reading this?)

Bill Burns
Assembly Training and Documentation Supervisor
wk: wburns -at- micron -dot- com
hm: wdburns -at- micron -dot- net