Freelance Rates

Subject: Freelance Rates
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:44:09 -0800

Tony Rocco made some of the best points I have seen so far (and I
apologize for not being completely current with reading the digests).
One thing I feel I must add is: Don't undersell the market. I find
unprofessional people locally selling themselves for $6/h like common
streetwalkers when they could command much higher rates. All they do
is drive rates down for the rest of us.

I mentioned rates to Don Cunningham head of the Technical Communication
degree programs at Auburn University and he commented that his
upperclass students were commanding $15/h for proofreading alone. How
much more should a seasoned professional charge!

Dan Wise
Since I work for myself, I speak for myself