Re: Need Help With Fonts

Subject: Re: Need Help With Fonts
From: soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 10:48:54 -0600

In <9602221622 -dot- AA27958 -at- ns1 -dot- unicomp -dot- net>, on 02/22/96 at 10:22 AM,
Scott Browne <sbrowne -at- unicomp -dot- net> said:

>Our company needs to create our own font for use with one of our
>programs. We have tried Fontographer with little success. Has anyone
>had good luck with other font-producing packages?

The only one I've ever toyed with was the one in IBM's Warp beta
developer's kit - it seemed effective, but I really didn't have a need of
custom fonts at the time, nor did I have a lot of time to spare to play
with it.

>Also, what is the going rate for having someone create fonts for you?
>We've had one person quote us $12,000 for 5 fonts. Does that sound even
>*close* to reasonable? I don't think so, but then I really have no idea
>of the going rate.

Seeing as there are literally thousands of Adobe Type 1 fonts available as
shareware and freeware (check hobbes.nmsu.edu/multimedia/fonts/ or look up
a CD called "2000 Fonts", which actually contains both Type 1 and TrueType
versions of 1000 fonts), I'd say you'd be silly to shell out for that
without at least seeing what's already available. I don't KNOW any better
than you, but my instinct tells me that's a bit steep.

Besides, what if you only need one font? And how different is this font
you need from existing fonts? Could you take an existing one and simply
modify certain characters to suit your needs?

>As usual, the boss wants it yesterday :)

That's the easy part... just point your ship at the sun and go to maximum
warp...

Your friend and mine,
Matt
---*** NOTE: Windows 95 Fixpack now available! ***---
See http://www.austin.ibm.com/pspinfo/drk95.html for more info!

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or
dimension!