Single Unix Documentation?

Subject: Single Unix Documentation?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 17:33:42 +0800

From The Australian, 20 Feb 1996:

An X/Open spokesperson also announced at UniForum a new, common
publishing framework for Unix 95 manuals called the Single Unix
Documentation (SUD).

SUD is intended to give users "a consistent look and feel" for
support materials.

If manufacturers adopt the framework for its manuals, users will
notice greater efficiency and eventual cost benefits as the
confusion in the Unix marketplace recedes, an X/Open spokesman
said.

This is intriguing, on several counts:

- is the spokesperson in the first paragraph different from the spokesman
of the last, or did his sex suddenly become apparent mid-way through
the announcement? How?

- in para 2, is it the users being given the consistent look and feel or
the support materials?

- what is 'Unix 95'? Not what it sounds like, I hope.

What I really want to know is: does anyone know anything more about SUD?
Does it refer to operating system manuals, or man pages, or UNIX
application manuals, or what?

Signed

Worried of Leederville
(slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au)