Re: Object Oriented?

Subject: Re: Object Oriented?
From: "Pickett-Harner, Molly" <mop1 -at- NIORDS1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:27:00 EST

Well Judith -- My husband works with these critters & he began defining same
for me....3 hours later, <g> I snuck off to check Alan Freedman's _The
Computer Glossary_ [7th ed; 1995] & found:

"Objects" [are defined as,] "software routines designed according to a set
of rules that allows them to function as independent building blocks that
interact with each other. This architecture is expected to be revolutionary
in payback if meaningful standards become widely used across all
environments and platforms." [They have]

Freedman then [separately] defines object-oriented analysis, object-oriented
database, object-oriented DBMS, object-oriented design, object-oriented
graphics, object-oriented interface, object-oriented programming, etc. If
you or anyone else would like these defined [a sentence/two each] & 'tis ok
with Eric, say the word.

Molly Pickett-Harner
mop1 -at- niords1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov
harner -at- access -dot- mountain -dot- net

Can anyone give me a definition of "object oriented"? I'm starting to see
this
phrase in a lot of job listings, and I don't have a clue what it means.

Thanks,

judith -dot- hammeran -at- macsch -dot- com