"See" and "Utilize," That Is, and For Example

Subject: "See" and "Utilize," That Is, and For Example
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 08:27:45 -0800

Kent Newton opines: Since our job is to make our subject matter
understandable to the reader, I can't imagine using this form [v. for
vide, or see]. I think I'll stick to "see" and "refer to."

Bill Sullivan chimes: Yes, and make it "that is," not i.e., and "for
example," not e.g. But use PCT, DNA, UPS, and any and all
abbreviations applicable to your discipline or trade, with impunity,
ad nauseam. Does this make sense?

PS: This is meant as a thought question, not an explanation of where
I would apply my red pen.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
OK, so perfect poetry ain't my thing