Re: Tech Writers- Strictly

Subject: Re: Tech Writers- Strictly
From: Tony Rocco <tony_rocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 13:45:20 U

Subject: Time: 13:38
OFFICE MEMO RE>Tech Writers: Strictly Tech? Date: 2/17/96

I am not much of a techy type myself. I consider and will probably always
consider myself first and foremost a writer. I have a journalism background
and am currently earning an MA in English (albeit with a tech writing focus).
While the really technical types get the most glory and money in this
profession, there is room for people who can write about computers and
computer software for a lay, end-user audience. Doing such takes an ability
to write well, think in an organized manner, learn about technology from an
end-user perspective, and design reasonably attractive, readable documents. A
few other skills like indexing and production expertise can be thrown in too.
In other words, what's realy necessary is some common sense, genuine interest
in the technology you are documenting, and the willingness to work.