"See" and "Utilize", HR

Subject: "See" and "Utilize", HR
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 11:15:08 -0500

Bill Sullivan writes:

You would use a toothbrush
to brush your teeth, but you might well utilize a program of
brushing, flossing, and rinsing to control all the bad things that
could happen inside your mouth, for example.
------------end of quote------------------

I would follow a programme of ...
i) Not utilise
ii) In UK English -mme, except for instructions to computers.

I'm not going to check my dictionary for nuances of meaning of utilise. I
rarely feel the urge to utilise anything. When others do, I tend to rewrite.

When and why did Personnel turn into Human Resources?

David (the inquiring idiot) Ibbetson
end

David Ibbetson Phone: (416) 363-6692
133 Wilton Street, #506 Fax: (416) 363-4987
Toronto, Ontario Internet:
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
Canada M5A 4A4