[no subject]

From: John Glenn <JohnFGlenn -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:57:55 -0500

? In a bigger company, the sample may ...
(a) include work of other writers and
(b) have been heavily edited (locally or by client).
(c) be written in a /strange/ way to satisfy the customer (e.g. SCRDLs,
TMCRs) -- threaded fastener

Why do HR and non-writing types think a sample is a true representation of a
writer's talent? Is it a /got'ta do it 'cause everyone else does it?/ thing?

Do HR and non-writing types really READ all the samples they receive?

If we cannot trust writing samples, how can we /test/ a prospective employee?
I have been given editing tests, but in most cases, employment depends upon
a /feeling/ ... with other writers and with non-writers.

As someone else suggested, how can you show confidential work? Our favorite
uncle is funny about sharing.

john glenn (johnfglenn -at- aol -dot- com)

-30-/fine/sof/end