Re: Eric - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

Subject: Re: Eric - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down
From: TPotter243 -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 20:51:10 -0500

In a message dated 96-02-09 19:19:50 EST, dlhays -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (Dennis
Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.) writes:

>The bottom line is this list has something for everyone. It's a good place
>to discuss your problems at less than US$100/hour for a shrink, learn new
>skills, trade war stories, find about the latest technical achievements to
>make our jobs easier, a place for the new writer to "get a leg up", and
>____________(fill in the blank). In short, there's more than enough room for
>everyone (even if I don't like what you have to say).

I've been following this thread since the original post, and I think Dennis
is right. I don't remember who made the original post but he seemed to want
to discuss only the most esoteric topics on this list. I am not the list
owner, and I presume they can proscribe the topics to fit their view.
However, I think this list is useful to a broad range of writers just as it
is now functioning. Yes, I get lots of threads that I have no interest in;
however, I presume others do have an interest in these topics. We all know
where the DELETE button is located. I would prefer that our group have a
large number of writers at all levels of development participating in the
discussions. It gives me a better feel for how far I've come (and how far I
have to go yet).

I have been writing for quite a while; however, my grammar needs constant
review if I am to remain at my best. Discussions of the basics on this list
are, therefore, no problem to me.

Many of the questions asked on this list could have been answered by
consulting a reference; however, many young writers may not have access to
the required references. As a matter of fact, most companies don't have the
proper references for their own business. Usually, all you find is a
Webster's Collegiate dictionary. Almost every job I go on requires that I
coerce the management into purchasing proper references. Sometimes I'm
successful; sometimes I'm not. My point is: most of these special references
are expensive (I don't even own all of them), and beginning writers may
occasionally need to tap our collective resources. Together we can all become
better, and I'm all for that.

Tom Potter
Houston, TX
TPotter243 -at- aol -dot- com