Re: Request for change

Subject: Re: Request for change
From: Tom Tadfor Little <tlittle -at- LANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:38:56 -0700

I've subscribed to this list for months, and I hardly ever post.

Why?

Because the list owner seems to actively discourage postings:

First, there is the default "reply to" that goes to the poster rather than
the list. This is insulting and a damn nuisance. It says we don't
have enough judgment to determine for ourselves when something should
be taken off-list.

Second, there are the common wrist-slappings whenever a posting doesn't
satisfy the narrow, anal-retentive conditions of relevance to technical
writing.

Now, there is the assertion that posts about how to choose correct
words and write a literate sentence are not appropriate in a discussion
of technical writing. NEWS FLASH! For some of us, technical writing
involves _writing_, not just pondering the deep philosophical issues
of communication theory.

How 'bout a little slack?

(Or run a moderated, invitation-only list for the five or six people
who think writing is off-topic on a writing list)

Tom Tadfor Little tlittle -at- lanl -dot- gov -or- telp -at- Rt66 -dot- com
technical writer/editor Los Alamos National Laboratory

Visit Telperion Productions on the web at
http://www.rt66.com/~telp/