Re: Joining forces with other writers

Subject: Re: Joining forces with other writers
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- AIRMAIL -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 19:59:25 +0000

Marie Clear writes:

> I've been going back and forth trying to decide whether to
> go independent or whether to cave in and go with a firm.
> By the way, thank you to every one who gave me information

> Anyway, I've decided I will, after all, stay independent. The
> only drawback to that, though, is that I won't really have
> coworkers. More than anything, I want to work with other
> writers. I certainly don't need people underfoot, but the
> camaraderie of working *with* someone is entirely gone now.

> So, I'd like to find other technical writers in Chicago who
> might be interested in working cooperatively. I don't think
> I'd be interested in a formal partnership, but I'd like to have
> a cooperative relationship with *someone* out here.

> Does anyone on the list have suggestions for setting up
> this type of relationship? Any ideas about how to go
> about finding other writers? Tips on making sure the
> other people are proficient and professional?

ARE YOU KIDDING!! JOIN STC!! Not only is this a wonderful resource
for maintaining professional relationships with other technical
writers, but it is an important resource for jobs, workshops,
conferences, and ongoing education. If you are new to tech writing
AND independent contracting, you will need all the benefits that STC
can offer. . . and then some.

Your local STC chapter may also have a sub-group, called a PIC
(Professional Interest Committee) for Independent Contractors and
Consultants. Get active in this, too, Marie. Not only will you find
valuable friendships, but the professional benefits are immeasurable.
When you join the national STC organization, you begin receiving the
quarterly journal and the more frequent newsletter, Intercom. Both
are excellent publications that will help you a lot. Your local
chapter should also have a newsletter. Please do investigate this.

Good luck.

Jane Bergen

Oh....and one other word for anyone who joins an organization like
STC.... don't just be a "taker" -- get involved. Go to PIC meetings,
volunteer for committees, keep the lines of communication open.
Jane Bergen Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com or janeb -at- airmail -dot- net
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word
is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug"
(Mark Twain)