Re: state names

Subject: Re: state names
From: Bonni Graham <bonnig -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 15:58:13 -0800

Scote writes:

>Forms (or software) that only have two character 'State' Fields. New
>South Wales is abbreviated to three characters (NSW), not two, and we
>don't have a 'convention' here for that at all (Qld, NSW, Vic, SA, WA,
>Tas, NT, ACT), and the Brits tend to use things like 'Lancs' and so on
>(although I think that's generally part of their postal code?). I'd
>complain about postal codes (they're not 'zip' codes in the wider
>world either) too but we only use four number codes here, so they
>always fit, but I'd be willing to lay a bet on there's -somewhere- in
>the world that uses 6 or 7.

Actually, this and Scot's other points are pretty much why I include
field length, especially for address forms and other "obvious" fields
-- they're only obvious in context, and even then it depends on your
context. It's a small thing, but adding one line (not even that,
sometimes) to a context-sensitive field description reference is not
going to disrupt the flow that much, especially if you include it last.

--
Bonni Graham
Manual Labour