Re: User, User's, Users' Guide

Subject: Re: User, User's, Users' Guide
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH2 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 09:17:49 MST

My preference is none of the above. I prefer Users Guide.

Supporting my preference is this passage from the New York
Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage:

Although an apostrophe is not incorrect in terms like the
following, increasingly it is omitted when the sense of the
term is descriptive rather than possessive--that is, when
*for* is meant rather than *of*.

teachers college officers club
teachers union travelers checks
boys clubs users manual
Merchants Bank

I notice, however, that the authors did not take their own
advice. If they had, the book's title would be _The New York
Public Library Writers Guide to Style and Usage_.

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh2 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "I am not speaking for my employer." =*=