functional spec versus design spec - ?

Subject: functional spec versus design spec - ?
From: Greg Cento <greg -at- FOCUS-SYSTEMS -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 09:58:47 -0400

Hello TechWhirlers,

Here I float back to the surface with a question to ask. I'm not sure if
this has been covered before, so I apologize if I'm going over old stuff.

Our Applications Engineering Manager (let's call him Bob) came to me (his
trusty (and occasionally crusty) doc guy) with the following problem. It
seems that one of our clients is in the habit of tearing our functional and
design specs to pieces - not just the content but the format too.
Apparently it's quite a scene. Bob has been writing these things for about
10 years, and I think there're pretty good. None of our other clients have
ever complained either.

So here is the request: Bob has asked my to find some kind of authoritative
source on writing design specs and functional specs. He wants this partly
to make sure he isn't missing anything and partly because he would like to
have a little more leverage next time he has to meet with this client.

Can anyone recommend a source? I recall some discussion about the American
military and specification writing. Is this the same thing?

Any direction would be appreciated (by several people on this end).

TTFN

(is this the part where I call myself an idiot?)

Greg Cento
greg -at- focus-systems -dot- on -dot- ca
Focus Automation Systems Inc.