Re: Click? Choose!

Subject: Re: Click? Choose!
From: Karen Gwynn/Datatel <Karen_Gwynn -at- DATATEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 08:14:10 EDT

Bill Sullivan suggested:

<snip>

What I am trying to get up the nerve to ask you is: If what I so
loosely describe is the case, should we not write "Choose Options"
and not "Click Options"? Tell them what to do, but let them deduce
how to do it? Isn't that what their vanishing system manuals are
for?

---------End------------

I agree. We are faced with having our software available on at least 4
different user interfaces and barely enough staff and time to get one set of
documents completed; forget one set for each interface. Therefore we *must*
tell them *what* to do and let them deduce how (we help with the how by
providing a general interface document that will explain "in this interface
when the doc says xyz, you should click on the such and such button).

Its been a real challenge to go "interface independent," but it does make you
think about your writing more--and isn't that what we all love to do :)

Karen Gwynn
kwg @datatel.com