7 plus or minus 2: followup

Subject: 7 plus or minus 2: followup
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:16:10 -0600

Thanks to all who responded. Chris Thiessen provided a few
interesting references that you may want to pursue, and
gave me permission to share his message with the list:

<<First, G.A. Miller's study was presented in Psychological
Review: "The magical number seven, plus or minus two: some
limits on our capacity for processing information", 1956,
63, pages 81-97. Second, Roberta Klatzky's book "Human
Memory: Structures and Processes", 1980 (ISBN 0716711141,
Freeman and Company) has an excellent discussion in
"Chunking to Increase STM Storage Capacity" on pages 91-98.
If you can still get the book, it's a great read if you are
interested in a detailed discussion of how memory works.
The book may be out of print. If so, check in a university
library - for the early 80's, this was one of the primary
books on the subject.>>

Thanks again to all who responded.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.