New nose count

Subject: New nose count
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 09:05:50 UNDEFINED

This solicitation has aroused a good bit of inteerst, judging by the
documentation--operating, installation, and maintenance manuals--still done,
at least some of it by writers who also document software.

The evidence that a large percentage of tech writers handle a variety of
assignments continues to grow. I am also finding responses from writers in
organizations that support a large number of tech writers--about 35, in at
least one case.

Some of those posting responses are also making their status--staff versus
independent--known, in belated response to my original survey, but the ratio
of 60-40 (staffers to contractors) still holds pretty well.

The diversity of work assigned to and undertaken by what appears to be most
tech writers appears to be a general characteristic and reflects to me, in the
retrospect of my own years of full-time techwriting--fifties and early
sixties--evidence of a still growing career field. - Herm

Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com] -dot- Consulting & custom services
for marketing/writing needs: brochures, direct mail, ghosting,
proposals, manuals, other. Write, call for free estimates.
PO Box 1731, Wheaton, MD 20915; 301-649-2499; FAX 301-649-5745.