What To Call the Next Decade

Subject: What To Call the Next Decade
From: Brad Connatser <concom -at- USIT -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 05:50:08 +0000

I have just come across an interesting terminology puzzle. If someone went
to high school from 1962 to 1966, then you would write that she went to
high school in the 1960s. If she went to high school from 1935 to 1939,
then the 1930s. What do you call the decade from 1900 to 1909? I have
posed this question to a number of tech writer friends of mine, and none
of them have been able to offer a satisfactory answer. Because we are
sneaking up on a new decade that poses this same problem (2000 to 2009),
perhaps some of you have thought about it. Any suggestions?

--
Brad Connatser
Concurrent Communications