Re: Challenge to active-verb advocates (and Passive Voice) -My

Subject: Re: Challenge to active-verb advocates (and Passive Voice) -My
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 09:26:20 -0600

Bill Sullivan wrote:

> Thoughts

> To all: For the past several days I have watched this Passive Voice
> thread wind through my TECHWR-L inbox. I have deleted entries after
> glancing through them, immediately after opening them, and before
> opening them. This subject, were it not so boring and senseless, is

<snip>

> According to the Gospel of Eric J. Ray, "If it doesn't relate to

<snip>

> Bottom line (the Golden Rule, if you will) for writers and editors
> should be to produce the strongest writing they can. It isn't a
> question of whether passive voice is defendable or legal or anything
> else. It's what best gets the thought across to the reader. That's
> what we're doing here, baby!

> Thanks for listening to me.

> Bill Sullivan

I agree wholeheartedly. Or, in line with your Gospel and Golden Rule
allusions, I'll say "Amen! Preach it, brother!"

I would add to those taking part in this discussion: if you don't know
what passive voice is, learn before opening your mouth. I for one find
reading posts from people who don't know what they're talking about a
maddening waste of time.

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation svictor -at- compassnet -dot- com
15150 Memorial Drive http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
Houston, TX 77079 USA De gustibus non disputandum est