Re: Challenge to active-verb advocates

Subject: Re: Challenge to active-verb advocates
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 15:30:38 -0800

>The leaves on the sidewalk were kicked and scattered by passing feet.

>What if "leaves" constitute the focus of the sentence? In other words, what
>if we wish to describe leaves? What if leaves cannot take any action on
>their own? Suppose that we want to point out the passive nature of leaves?

Leaves lay on the sidewalk. Passing feet kicked and scattered them.

I think this accomplishes what you're aiming for. Of course, this sort of
"atmosphere" doesn't usually enter into technical writing. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro