Re: Warning, Will Robinson: Doc-to-Help & McAfee Virus Scan

Subject: Re: Warning, Will Robinson: Doc-to-Help & McAfee Virus Scan
From: "Linda H. Schoenhoff" <lhs -at- UNIFY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:04:51 PST

Dan Glover wrote:

> Greetings,

> (I know many of you out there use Doc-to-Help, so I thought I would
> relay this information.)

> Recently, in an effort to practice safe computing, I purchased and installed
> McAfee Virus Scan (version 2.2.7). They have an "Anti-Macro Virus" portion
> to it as well (mvtool10.exe). On a whim (Hey, I'm curious!) I ran
> this executable. No menu appeared. I was given no choice. This puppy
> was installing itself where it wanted to.

> The next time I tried to save a Word document that was using a Doc-to-Help
> template, I couldn't save it. I couldn't format it into help. I couldn't
> even view the Doc-to-Help markings. After some research, I figured out
> that these two software packages do not work and play well with each
> other.

> Once I removed the Anti-Macro Virus bits, all was well. (BTW, the
> removal of these bits was well documented in the manual, so it
> was pretty easy.)

> Warningly yours,
> Dan Glovier
> dglovier -at- tsh -dot- com

I'm still trying to straighten out a similar mess involving
RoboHelp. I used a file called scanprot.dot (from Microsoft
I think) that finds a virus connected with Word (our systems
administrator had us all run this). After it finished, I
could no longer get the RoboHelp palette and none of my macros
in my help file worked.

Robohelp has a fix for this, but I'm having trouble getting it
through email or from their Web site. Eventually I'll acquire it
and solve my problem (fingers crossed). So, tread carefully.

Linda Schoenhoff
lhs -at- unify -dot- com