Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals
From: CARYN_RIZELL -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:51:03 -0800

Maybe I'm not dedicated enough, but the only time I look at a manua=
l =

is when I need to find something. I rarely just open a manual and =
see =

what is inside. I just don't have the time to do that.
=

When I buy new software, I want to open it up, install it and start=
=

using it. I don't want to read the manual to figure out how to use=
=

it. I want a product that guides me through using it without havin=
g =

to read a manual. Wouldn't that be nice?
=

(I should also point out that I rarely write manuals anymore. I ha=
ve =

written online help exclusively for the last several years. So, wh=
en =

I look at a manual, I start thinking of all the things in it that =

should be online instead.)
=

Regarding the issue of whether online and paper docs should have th=
e =

same material. I still disagree with this. Putting everything in =

both places does not guarantee that you are providing the correct i=
nfo =

in the first place. Take MSWord documentation for example. The =

online docs and paper docs are almost identical. But I still can't=
=

find what I want! =

=

Also, I work on a product that has extensive context sensitive help=
=2E =

If I want help on a field, column header, menu item, graph, graph =

label, I can just click on it and get the info I need. Would you =

really want this type of info in a manual? I wouldn't. (But I am =

also opposed to manuals that consist of screenshots with each field=
=

explained.)
=

Anyway, more fuel for the fire!