Manuals on CD-ROM

Subject: Manuals on CD-ROM
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:07:00 PST

Hello all,

Our company is investigating the possibility of distributing our manuals
on CD-ROM, possibly as an adjunct to paper distribution or possibly (to
my dismay) as a replacement for the paper distribution.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on the list has had experience with
this. Is it practical? What are the drawbacks? What should we look for
in regards to technology? Should we approach it like on-line help with
hyperlinks, or should we simply set it up like a manual and use a keyword
search engine? And so on and so on and so on. In other words, I know
nothing about it and could use all the collective advice and suggestions
you have.

I'd appreciate your help.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer