Need some advice

Subject: Need some advice
From: Alan Roy <Alan -dot- Roy -at- FREENET -dot- HAMILTON -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 00:31:00 -0500

Hello,

although I don't have any professional experience in the field, I'm trying
to get a job as a technical writer. I have a degree in Industrial
Engineering and I do some technical writing as a volunteer for the
Hamilton Wentworth FreeNet. I honestly feel that I have a knack for it.
I was wondering if I could get a little advice from some of you.

What skills (besides the obvious) are needed to get hired in the field?
Are there any platforms or software packages that I really MUST know?

How about a certificate or degree? Is it necessary? Will it help?

Should I put together some sort of "portfolio" to show at interviews? If
so, what is an acceptable format?

Is there a professional association in Ontario or Canada for TWs?

What cities in Ontario are the best for TW jobs?

What is typical for an entry level TW's starting salary?

And finally, realistically, what do you think are the chances of someone
like me getting a job as a TW?

Thank you in advance for the help.

--

Alan Roy
alan -dot- roy -at- freenet -dot- hamilton -dot- on -dot- ca