Re: Redundancy...

Subject: Re: Redundancy...
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 12:31:00 PST

On 22 Jan 1996 04:57:50 -0600, Shauna Jeanne Jones wrote:

>From a marketing viewpoint, you want users to think the software enables
>them to do things. That way, the user takes credit for the achievement
for
>which he or she might receive additional corporate favors such as raises
and
>promotions. "Our product is used to do" suggests that to us much more
than
>"Our product does".

>FWIW, since when was the Marketing Dept concerned about anyone actually
>*using* the product after it has been bought and paid for? <G>

If you want the prospects to feel empowered, you may want to aim the copy
directly at them: "Use our product to...." instead of "Our product is
used to...." This not only gets rid of the passive voice, it involves
the prospective customer and gets them used to the idea they may, in
fact, use it.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.