Tech Pubs reporting structure

Subject: Tech Pubs reporting structure
From: bphuettner -at- WSICORP -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 09:15:17 EST

Bob Boeri asked about the organizational reporting structures of
technical publishing groups. My response:

Hey - I was going to ask that! No kidding, it came up just this
morning. Here's my situation: I was hired three years ago as the
first full time tech writer, reporting to the V.P. of Sales and
Marketing. Then one of the product marketing managers was promoted to
a new position between me (the writer) and the V.P., essentially
limiting the products I worked on. Eventually, we hired a second
writer to report to a different product marketing manager. Now, we
have a new V.P. of Product Development, and it appears likely that the
two writers will be transferred to somewhere in his group of
programmers and QA people. We hope that he will at least keep the
writers in one group but no one knows just yet. I'd like to be
prepared with statistics or suggestions for the new organization in
case they ask me (or in case I accidentally bring it up in casual
conversation).

Brenda Huettner
bphuettner -at- wsicorp -dot- com