Re: Optimal Page Sizes

Subject: Re: Optimal Page Sizes
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 07:43:00 PST

The size you choose depends on the type of binding you want to use, which
in turn is affected by your system's users, production costs, methods of
distribution, and frequency of updates.

For example, our users are generally IS and Management for field service
companies. They often use the manual in warehouses, shipping/receiving
docks, repair centers, and so on. They need manuals they can lay flat
when they refer to it. Also, we update our manuals frequently (once or
twice a year). To keep costs down, we chose to send updates to the
existing manuals instead of sending completely new manuals. Therefore, we
opted for a standard three-ring binder and a standard 8 1/2 by 11 sheet
size. This is inexpensive and easy to produce and replace. For European
distribution, we print the existing manuals on A4 paper size (with
corresponding A4 binders) without reformatting the documentation; this
minimally changes the size of the margins.

I hope this gives you a few things to consider.