Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals
From: CARYN_RIZELL -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 10:00:57 -0800

I'm glad this topic has come up. I recently received a call from a=
=

field rep for our products, and his question was "Why isn't there a=
=

manual?" (All our documentation for the product is online, except =
for =

the installation instructions.)
=

I have always been a proponent of minimalist documentation. Big =

manuals intimidate me. I don't have time to read manuals unless I =

want to solve a problem. I figure if the manual is huge, the produ=
ct =

is probably not very intuitive.
=

Yet, there are some times that I desire a manual. If I want to =

research an issue I probably want the manual. Reference material i=
s =

best left in a manual.
=

I disagree that the answer is to provide everything in both places.=
=

There are certain topics more suited to online, just as there are =

topics more suited to manuals. It is our task to discover what the=
se =

are by asking the user.
=

Instead of throwing everything at them, maybe we should first ask t=
he =

following questions: 1) is the topic even useful to the user 2) =
in =

what format should this topic be presented

Our real task is not whether we should provide everything in a manual or=
online,
but determining what topics the user even wants to see explained.

Just my 2 cents!

Caryn Rizell
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard