Re: What's with the new docs?

Subject: Re: What's with the new docs?
From: Michael Keith Anderson <mka -at- CRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 23:55:24 -0600

Hello:

To answer at least one of Jane's questions -- I know what Microsoft has =
in mind. They hope people will purchase books from MS press when they =
determine their needs for documentation. I spoke with a tech writer =
there when I got MS Office. He said that after a lot of audience =
analysis, they determined "nobody" read their manuals. Those who did =
read to learn usually purchased manuals from third party sources anyway.

More and more I have noticed companies either produce reference manuals, =
tutorial manuals, exclusive on-line help, or a mixture of some or all. =
It seems to me there are about four basic audiences for software =
documentation:=20

* the experienced user who doesn't read the manual unless it's strictly =
for reference
* the experienced user who relies on on-line help only
* the inexperienced user who needs a manual for reference and tutorials
* the inexperienced user who preferes the on-line tutorials over the =
hardcopy (especially if it's multi-media)

Here are a couple of questions for you to kick around:

1. Is there a way to accurately please "most of the people most of the =
time"? This, of course, is impossible. However, there must be a way to =
research your users to help you plan your documentation.
2. How do you plan documentation around audience needs? Specifically, =
what determines which type of manual you write?

This topic of a special interest to me because I am currently =
engineering some documentation procedures centered around =
single-sourcing information. I am wondering if you can have different =
outputs to satisfy the customer and avoid content differences between =
them.

Keith Anderson

mka -at- cris -dot- com
mkanderson -at- ualr -dot- edu