Re: passive voice & appears / is displayed

Subject: Re: passive voice & appears / is displayed
From: Karen_Mayer -dot- TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTES -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 18:20:35 EST

-------------------- ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT --------------------

Similarly, I'd like to get opinions on using "the foobar menu is
displayed"
vs
"the foobar menu appears."

My training and experience with PCs tells me that novices are often
intimidated
by computers, and that "appears" is too much like magic. While "is
displayed" is
passive, the reader does not need to know who/what displays the menu.

Comments?

I have a slight preference for "appears" vs. the passive "is displayed,"
but what really annoys me
is when "the Foobar dialog box displays." YUK!

-- karen