Re: List of *good* books

Subject: Re: List of *good* books
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 16:27:09 -0500

I've been rethinking my answer. The books I really depend on are the English
classics:

King James Bible
Shakespeare's collected works
Bacon's essays (I need a new copy)
Churchill's collected speeches (ditto)
The Fowlers (both their books)
Gowers (Plain Words and The ABC of Plain Words). I don't know who edited the
most recent edition.

An American would want to add your constitution, "Fourscore and seven years
ago..." , ..., and those authors who have affected American English. ? Mark
Twain, Emerson,

An incomplete reply, but enough to indicate my drift.
==========
Suzanne Gerrior asks how much I paid for the Globe and Mail style book.
It's the 1993 edition and I bought it when it came out. I think it cost
around C$25. They offer substantial discounts for quantity. Their address:
Globe and Mail Publishing, 444 Front Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2S9.
Phone (416) 585=5250, Fax (416)585-5249. I haven't got their Internet
address to hand.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4