Re: Commas & Quotes: responses

Subject: Re: Commas & Quotes: responses
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:31 -0800

>> First select "Edit", then select "Cut".

>> If you feel like being formal, change the comma to a semicolon, but the
>> comma splice is fine in sentences like this. ...RM

>It certainly is no better than the example you classify as Not OK,
>unless then has suddenly become a conjunction.

I think this falls into the "God proposes, man disposes" category. The parts
are short and parallel in structure.

The "not OK" example was

First select "Edit", and then "Cut".

This has the structure of a compound sentence, but the second part, 'then
"Cut,"' is not a complete sentence, because "Cut" is not a verb; it's the
name of a menu item. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro