Re: PostScript screen images & printing problem

Subject: Re: PostScript screen images & printing problem
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 03:40:30 -0500

I have run across similar problems in the past. Usually the source of
the problem is in the header that is attached to the PS file. Some
software/hardware systems modify the header information to include some
proprietary information that their own drivers can easily digest, but
other drivers (especially generic drivers) will choke on.

The solution is to become a PS programming guru and edit the file
manually, or try one of the following:

Ploy 1 - Try importing the graphic file into a variety of graphic
programs until you get a good display and export the graphic in some other
format, or

Ploy 2 - Use a file conversion program such as Hijaak-EPS to convert the
graphic file to a generic .EPS format or other suitable format, or

Ploy 3 - Import the file into a graphic viewer that can handle .EPS files
and save it in some other format (use care here because you might wind up
saving just the low resolution bit mapped image embedded in the .EPS
file), or

Ploy 4 - Find a program that displays a good quality image of the graphic
and capture the image to the clipboard and transfer into FM, or if all
else fails

Ploy 5 - Bundle up all of the graphic files and send them to a service
bureau for conversion to generic .EPS files.

Good luck!

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Brian Neuhauser wrote:

> I'm hoping one of you has documented a DECwindows-based system
> and has seen this before.

> Scenario: We're capturing DECwindow-based screen images from a
> VAXstation and sending the files to a PC. We then include the
> images in documents developed in Frame, Word, et al.

> Everything runs smoothly until time to print the documents on a
> PostScript-compatible printer. The only PS printer that
> successfully prints the documents is one manufactured by DEC.
> (Others print all pages up to the first imported image and then
> abort.)

> Hypothesis: My guess is there's something proprietary about what
> I'll call "DEC PostScript." We take the captures through a
> DECwindows application called Print Screen; it has only three
> output formats: PostScript, Sixel, and DDIF. Sixel and DDIF are
> proprietary formats, so PostScript is our only alternative
> because we need to place the images in non-DEC, PC documents.

> Does anyone know how to get these files to print on non-DEC
> PostScript printers? Any suggestions or leads would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

> Brian Neuhauser
> MCI

> bneuhauser -at- mcimail -dot- com

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
Ph/Fax: 508-921-8908 18 School Street
Internet: dazlin -at- shore -dot- net Beverly, MA 01915-4851