Re: Senior TW vs. TW

Subject: Re: Senior TW vs. TW
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 19:23:01 -0800

Karen Mayer writes:
> My question to the group: in your company, how many years of experience
> are required before a writer can qualify for the "senior" title. Do you
> have titles above senior? If so, how much experience do they require?

I forget, exactly, but it doesn't make any difference -- go to your
friendly H.R. person and say that it's bothering you that you lost
the "Sr." from your job title, and can't you get it back? It doesn't
cost 'em anything, and they may just stick it back on. What the
hey.

I once spent a remunerative afternoon analyzing the job names, descriptions,
and current industry salary levels for all jobs related to the Tech Pubs
industry. My employer at the time used the Radford Salary Survey, which
was full of useful information, and was available to any employee to
examine. I quickly discovered that "Technical Writing Manager" paid
$1000 more per year than "Technical Publications Manager." I was doing the
work of both, with the latter job title. I changed my job title
that same day. When the next salary review rolled around, it was
discovered that I was underpaid for my position, and, with a certain
amount of encouragement from me, appropriate action was taken.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139