-No Subject-

Subject: -No Subject-
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:26:59 LCL

Gary M. writes:

> Note, again, that the claims made in this thread (and similar ones)
> are *not* that there are certain *methods* or general *methodologies*
> that would save money in this way, but that *using SGML* would save
> money in this way.

Gary misunderstands me here. I am not saying that using SGML will avoid these
costs. I am saying that it is currently impossible for most companies to make
intelligent comparisons between different solutions or technologies to a
process problem because they have no way of measuring the real cost of the
current way of doing things, much less of the alternatives.

> Indeed, the Intel study -- which now seems to have had nothing to do with
SGML
> or its use

The Intel study was part of an analysis of the way they were producing
databooks. As a result of what they learned, they are implementing the
Pinnacles standard, which includes SGML components, to see if it will improve
the process and the quality of the information they publish.

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221, Ext. 164 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]