Re: Ceritification - STC

Subject: Re: Ceritification - STC
From: Stuart Reynolds <reynolds -at- IC -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 12:35:32 -0500

On Tuesday, January 09, 1996 4:40 PM, Cheverie, Paul =
[Cont][SMTP:paul -dot- cheverie -at- GPO -dot- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM] wrote:

>the only STC chapter I've seen (the chapter in Winnipeg, Manitoba, =
Canada).
>I found this chapter to be belligerently elitist (without sufficient =
reason)
>and profoundly dictatorial. I won't go into the gruesome details, but
>suffice it to say I have less than normal professional respect for the
>principals involved. I am glad that I have "met" STC members on this =
list.
And in BC too Paul. It is as if they "think" they are a union, and so =
are controlling the "good work". If you want the good contracts, you =
*have* to become a member.

>The STC members on this list have improved my opinion of STC =
tremendously. (
Me too. It seems to be more of a networking and peer contact group =
south of the 49th

> I think that before STC tries to convince the technical world is =
should
>certify technical communicators, it should convince technical =
communicators
>and the technical world it is competent to do so. In Canada it has yet =
to do
>so.
I'll second Paul's comments. Albeit, unfortunately.

Stuart
---------
reynolds -at- ic -dot- net
First Impression Graphics
web page design & implementation
tech writing, creative concepts, graphic design,=20
DTP, exhibition graphics, packaging solutions