Punctuation/Quotes

Subject: Punctuation/Quotes
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 10:36:42 -0700

I vividly remember, when dinosaurs ruled the earth, being taught never to
include punctuation that ends a sentence in quotes of a phrase, and
although I have adapted, it has never felt right. Example:

"No," she said, "I hate punctuation." (Correct and okay by me)

She thinks he's a "flash in the pan." (Apparently correct but I hate it)

I would like it to be: She thinks he's a "flash in the pan". The
"correct" version is illogical to me. The period marks the end of the
sentence, not the quoted phrase (or word, in this case). Not that language
was ever logical. Does anybody agree?

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |