Re: Difference between editor and manager

Subject: Re: Difference between editor and manager
From: "Kathy E. Gill" <kegill -at- HALCYON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:39:13 -0800

> Patty Ewy asks about the difference between an editor and manager's job roles.
> "who mentors writers?"

>George Allaman replies:
> I don't think managers should ever fancy
>themselves mentors. Since the manager's job is to judge the employee and
>their work, a healthy mentoring relationship is impossible. For instance:
>I'm much less likely to display my ignorance if it might affect my chances
>for a raise or promotion. But it needs to be displayed so that I can learn.

An environment of fear [>I'm much less likely to display my ignorance if it
might affect my chances for a raise or promotion] is *not* conducive to
creativity. It's not even accepted management theory for "production"
workers.

George, if you are working in an environment that is as judgmental as you
imply, leave! Today's "manager" *should* be operating more like a
coach/mentor than judge. Reams of research demonstrate that this style
(coach) is more productive than manager-as-judge ..... but, of course, old
dogs learn new tricks slowly and only if their bosses do too.

Kathy