PostScript.

Subject: PostScript.
From: Ed Marsh <ed_marsh -at- TCPGATE -dot- IBI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:37:33 EST

Raymond Chenier writes:

>Q1: I have loads of .pfm (.pfb? fonts), Is it possible that I am not
>even making use of these because I don't have a ps driver loaded?
These are Type 1 fonts. You need both the pfm and pfb fonts for them
to work (one is the font metrics, the other is the screen font.) You
also need Adobe Type Manager to get them to print properly. If you
don't have a PS driver loaded, you are printing PCL (see below), which
NEEDS Adobe Type Manager to rasterize the Type 1 fonts.

Q2: What advantages, if any, are there if I load a ps driver.
PostScript (PS) is the standard for the printing industry. If you send
your doc out to a printer, you'll have to use Type 1 fonts. Type 1
fonts are generally of better quality than TrueType.

>Q3:I think my laser has a pcl emulation, is this related?
PCL (Printer Control Language, I believe) is another printer language.
Methinks it's slower than printing PS.

>This whole postscript issue is one that I have had trouble locating
>good information on.
There are several books on PS programming, though I don't have any or
know of any titles off the top of my head.

Hope this Helps,
--Ed Marsh
Tech Writer, Desktop Publisher, Percussion Instructor,
Rollerblader, Hiker (whew!)
ed_marsh -at- ibi -dot- com