Terabytes at Teradata

Subject: Terabytes at Teradata
From: "Dimock, Dick" <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 12:05:00 PST

My corner of the Downsizing Empire began as Teradata Corporation in 1979.
Its goal was to build a parallel processing database machine capable of
storing
a terabyte. Thus the name Teradata. In them days it was a far vision. We
have
since moved into the tens of terabytes range, with hundreds of parallel
processors.

The terabyte is becoming a ho-hum number. New data processing and storage
systems are going to have to deal with pentabytes and exobytes. For
example,
downloading the data from near-future earth resources satellites will be at
the rate
of several terabytes per day. We plan to be able to corral all that in
databases,
for fun and profit.

I'm told that early in Teradata's history, the purchasing department would
receive
brochures for earthmoving equipment.

Dick Dimock humble and industrious teraword wrangler (TW) at

AT&T GIS which swallowed NCR, which swallowed
Teradata, and through all of which
swallowings, yours truly has
artfully survived, in

El Segundo, CA The town where programmers include comments,
engineers test before shipping, and all
the tech writers are above average.

COMING SOON TO THIS SIG: The NEW NAME for AT&T GIS.
richard -dot- dimock -at- elsegundoca -dot- attgis -dot- com