Re: Robert Plamondon's comments re: writers who R not good self-editors

Subject: Re: Robert Plamondon's comments re: writers who R not good self-editors
From: Wolf Lahti <wduby -at- PACCAR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 11:37:12 -0800

>Robert Plamondon writes

>Suppose you were advertising for a writer, and you had someone who
>was a good proofreader available to assist you. Would you instruct
>the proofreader to discard all resumes that contained even a single
>spelling error, and present you with only the letter-perfect ones?
>I wouldn't.

Then you'd likely end up with a writer who can't spell or even run a spell-
check program. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to expect perfection, at
least in spelling, on a resume; it is, after all, such a simple thing to
get right. A resume has to present the very best a job-seeker _can_ present
(just as a person taking a driving test is expected to do his or her best
driving).

If they fail in that regard, I certainly wouldn't expect them to perform up
to spec on the job when, presumably, less is at stake than _getting_ the job.

"I hate quotations!"
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson