Re: Unintentional attachment??

Subject: Re: Unintentional attachment??
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 18:11:00 -0400

>Answer: NO (see below, a reply to a former message)
>My sincere apologies to you & others for the problem. I wish the OKstate
>server was able to handle updated language formats/fonts

Ummmm...

I don't think the problem is with the TECHWR server. It's also not a
problem with Eudora, as far as I can tell, since I get the same junk
attachments when I use AOL or one of my shell acounts (Pine or elm,
depending on the ISP). I have the same problem with the email mail I get
directly from some of my clients who use WINMAIL Windows email software.

What I'm getting is -not- simply a garbled email message. It is an
attached file named WINMAIL.DAT that contains junk that I can't decode
using -either- MIME or uudecode software. It is apparently some kind of
.sig statement that WINMAIL adds to each outgoing message unless you
disable the 'feature'. When received by another machine running WINMAIL,
it gets decoded into a little Windows ad. When it hits another type of
email software, it chokes the sucker. Fortunately, I haven't had any
crashes like my PC colleagues have had. I just get a page of junk.

I have one client whose HELP desk folks shut it off the 'feature' for him.
Unfortunately, they won't tell him how to do it, so I can't pass on the
information. I have had two other clients whose companies use WINMAIL.
They finally had to open personal email accounts off-site in order to
exchange messages with contractors.

M$ strikes again.

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com