December column on web page

Subject: December column on web page
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 00:38:09 -0800

I have just put my Dec 95 Micro Review column on my web page. You might find
two items of special interest:

BUGS in Writing: A Guide to Debugging Your Prose by Lyn Dupre

The Future Does Not Compute: Transcending the Machines in Our Midst by
Stephen L. Talbott

Each of these books was written by a technical editor. Dupre is the top
technical editor at Addison-Wesley. Talbott is with O'Reilly, the leading
publisher of unix-related books.

As I was putting this and other corrections and additions on my web page, I
discovered an interesting anomaly. If I have the following HTML construction:

<CITE>bookname<CITE>,

and a line break falls between the end of bookname and the second <CITE>,
both Netscape and the Netcom browser display a space between the bookname
and the comma. I had to rearrange the HTML file to avoid that line break.

I suppose this is well known among web fanatics, but I'm not currently on
any of the lists that deal with such stuff, so it came as a surprise to me.
...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro