Re: Resumes - writing your own

Subject: Re: Resumes - writing your own
From: "Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd." <dlhays -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 14:28:41 -0800

At 11:11 AM 12/28/1995 -0500, Jon Posada wrote:

>You guessed it. 48 hours later, I'm getting 2-3 callbacks per day, and 3 days
>later, I'm on the short list for a writing job doing EXACTLY what I wanted
>(proposal writing) for a MAJOR player in it's field, at a rate of $36 per hour.
>(BTW...yes, I got the job and I was the most costly person they interviewed.)

>Hell....4 months later, I'm still getting calls.

>To make a long story short...give the steak on the resume and leave the sizzle
>for the interview.

I was an international technical recruiter and Director of Staffing for a
number of years, based here in the states and in London, England. After
viewing thousands of resumes (if not hundreds of thousands), remember the
following:

Nobody reads resumes for enjoyment. Recruiters and managers read them for
specific reasons and the following criteria is important:

Resumes get interviews, you get the job
List either chron or functional statistics: job, scope of project,
your involvement
Be specific about your involvement (read this again)
Hobbies are not important unless they have bearing on the specific job
Education is marginally important: List dates, colleges, and degrees
only
Bullet important items
Be brief and then cut 50%

The most important advice on preparing your resume: Write with fire, cut
with ice.
Use white bond paper (no colors) and make certain your name and telephone
number is prominent. I can remember candidates I didn't call back because
they failed to put down contact information or it was out of date.

======> Dennis Hays
======> The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.
======> Voice: 518/477-6388
======> Fax: 518/477-5006