Re: TW on the development team

Subject: Re: TW on the development team
From: "Caplan, Michael" <mcaplan -at- NDC -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 08:56:07 LCL

Susan,

I appreciate and understand your concern. However, to participate in a
project and not be included in the development team can (and does)
lead to gaps in information, decisions being made without informing
the writer, important meetings being held without inviting the TW,
etc.

I had a very positive experience where, not only was I a part of the
development/design team, but I gained valuable managerial experience
as I was included in most of the Project Management meetings for the
project. I handled the conference calls when the Project Leader was
away. I fielded and directed questions from the customer on both
technical and managerial matters, etc. When something was missed
during a conference or spec., I had enough well-rounded knowledge of
the big picture of the Project to be able to assist and correct and
add to all facets of the project.

When changes needed to be made to a document, it was MY call. A
document that I had written was never re-released without my approval.

In short, I agree with both Bonnie and John. Development Teams, where
the writer is an integral part of the team as a whole, and is the
documentation expert for the project, solves most (if not all) of your
concerns.

Good luck, and better luck next time in becoming a real member of a
Project Development Team.

-Michael Caplan
Michael B. Caplan
Documentation Group