Re: Certification, sign me up (NOT)

Subject: Re: Certification, sign me up (NOT)
From: Guy McDonald <guym -at- DAKA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 13:22:54 -0800

COUNTERPOINT

Ok Robert, let's look at teachers in America (comparing them to your Doctor
model). What has "certification" (i.e. establishment of a union)
accomplished for them?? Using my version of your remarks, here's some of
the things that teachers now experience:

* Greatly decreased average personal income by discouraging the number
of quality entrants to the profession.

* The protection of incompetent members through a tenure process
that attempts to off-set mass employee exodus. Unfortunately, this
twisted idea of "job security" hinders public administrators from
disciplining poor performers.

* The destruction of a respected stature that the teaching "profession"
formerly enjoyed through a combination of bad P.R. and the establishment of
a "certified union workforce" instead of a "profession".

* Diminished power at the governmental lobbying level, which lead to
lower pay, as educators now come begging for funding.

* An arrangement by which most of the work is done by low-paid uncertified
workers and virtually unpaid apprentices (i.e., parents, teachers aids
and para-professionals), leaving the certified people ample time for
leisure.

The last comment by Robert was left mostly intact, for sadly this is true.
Since Technical Writers primarily hail from the private sector, I find it
hard to draw a comparison. One viewpoint to consider when focusing on the
public education model is the correlation between
certification/unionization and final product. The ill decision by the NEA
& applicable state unions to work less came after public confidence
weakened (again, evidenced by decreased funding). This vicious loop
continues to spiral downward, damaging the teaching "profession" and
effecting its product.... our children's futures.

A vote for "rubber stamping" (i.e., certifying) Technical Writers is a
vote for lower industry standards. The only viable alternative would be a
clear distinct definition of terms. In other words, does "certification"
really mean "affiliation to a professional association" OR "establishment
of a union"?? The former avenue is more reasonable than the latter, which
I perceive you suggest. As for the folks that try to argue using auto
mechanic certification........... good grief what next! Shall we all
march to someone else's tune, or take charge of our own destiny?

Guy McDonald
guym -at- daka -dot- com