Certification "benefits"

Subject: Certification "benefits"
From: Esther Wheeler <ewheeler -at- AZURE-TECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:55:58 -0500

Robert Plamondon writes:
> I'm not sure we're approaching the certification issue correctly. Our
> goals are too mundane. Look at what doctors and lawyers have achieved
> through THEIR certification programs:

<snip>

And Bill Burns responds:
>> I think a bit more care should be taken when we make such comments
about
>> other professions. In addition to being personally offended by such
comments

<snip>

Gee, I thought Robert Plamondon's certification comments
were mildly amusing, but apparently Bill Burns doesn't.
Perhaps Bill was tying this discussion to the thread about
humor (or lack of it) on the list?

To continue the certification thread, I have yet to be convinced
that a certificate will appreciably help tech writing as a
profession, or tech writers as individuals. Many people are
making very interesting points on both sides.

I do think Robert had a valid, if humorous, point about the
different ways professions are viewed. Certification is no
guarantee of respect.

Please, no flames. I yield to no one in my appreciation of
hard-working doctors. Happy holidays to all the equally hard-
working techwhirlers out there.

Esther Wheeler
ewheeler -at- azure-tech -dot- com