Technical Writer Backgrounds

Subject: Technical Writer Backgrounds
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 12:42:01 +0100

Hello Sue Ellen,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Sue Ellen Adkins an All am 23.12.95

SE> From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- netcom -dot- com>

SE> Characteristics I would add to those include
SE> curiosity - What happens if I do *THIS*?

for me the TYPICAL illness you need for this kind of job :-)

SE> self-confidence - The ability to not feel stupid asking
SE> questions that engineers consider dumb.

Quite often I reduce them to answer yes or no.

SE> strength - Writers work long hours when they receive
SE> specs
SE> late but still have to produce the manual
SE> on
SE> schedule.

From time to time I need that exercise :-)

SE> imagination - Even though I know this software package
SE> inside out,
SE> I have to imagine I'm a new user who
SE> doesn't know
SE> anything about it.

...or write a manual according to specs that cannot work in reality :-)

SE> diplomacy - We all know why this is needed!

which is sometimes the opposite of self-confidence. But I went to technical
writing because I wanted to work with people and still remain near technology.
I am an engineer by heart.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander