Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Bonni Graham <bonnig -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 10:44:39 -0800

I was a panel member on the recent STC video show about certification.
One of the points we ran out of time before I could make was that I
feel certification to be somewhat akin to Dumbo's magic feather.

For anyone who does not remember the Dumbo film, the magic feather was
a feather that the crows gave to Dumbo after he flew away from the
circus in a drunken frenzy (it sound so much less savory when you tell
it rather than watch it :) ). He became convinced that he could not
fly without it, until he discovered at the end of the movie that he
could fly perfectly well without it.

We can fly without certification. I know I've said on this list in the
past that I do think certification might be a good idea. I've changed
my mind, due in on small part to some of the excellent posts put
forward by member of this list (you know who you are). I don't
necessarily think it's a BAD idea, nor would I refuse to seek it if it
became required, but I don't it's necessary.

If we create a certificate (an arduous process in and of itself), we
have to educate the market as to the purpose and validity of the
certification. I feel that energy would be better spent simply
educating the market as to the purpose and validity of the
*profession.* Real respect will grow out of that.

With all the focus on scanned resumes and keyword lists (that can force
us to be valuable as tool users rather than writers), will adding
another hurdle really help the profession?

--
Bonni Graham
Manual Labour